Monday, February 23, 2009

Precious Little Children

Today we took the Bethesda team to Manapo Hospital in Qwa Qwa to visit the children’s ward. It was a heart-breaking experience because some of the children were so sick and weak. The illnesses varied, some of which likely caused by or complicated by HIV/AIDs. But it also was such a joyous occasion as the team loved on the kids, bringing smiles as they played and gave out beanie babies and sweets. The hard-working nurses and overtired moms seemed encouraged as well.

I was immediately drawn to a little baby boy alone in his crib. At first, he seemed so scared of me – I must have looked quite strange, and nothing like his mom. I held his hand, stroked his arms, and tried to play a little. Slowly he warmed up to me and reached out his hands to be picked up. He was as light as a feather and so precious. We walked a little, looked out the windows, and he soon nuzzled into my neck and seemed content. By the end of our visit he was playing with his stuffed toy and finally allowing another team member feed him his lunch. Please pray with us for all the precious children we met – that they are healed and grow up to be healthy, strong men and women with bright futures. Please also pray for safe travel as we take the team on a safari then back to the airport for their return home, and as we pick-up another team later this week.

PS. This is a picture of me with Qwa Qwa in the background. If you’re thinking I look pretty funny, it’s because I took it myself. Thanks so much for your prayers and support!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well and doing great things. You are missed.

    ReplyDelete