Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Day in Qwa Qwa


Today I went into Qwa Qwa with the intern team doing relational evangelism and school assemblies this week. Qwa Qwa is home to about 1.8 million people. It’s also the poorest area of the country with 88% unemployed. I can tell you more about Qwa Qwa and how Thrive Africa ministers to them in future updates.

Twenty4Seven is Thrive Africa’s year long internship program for young adults who are interested in learning more about missions. They serve in the various ministries, attend classes, work on the mission base, and get immersed in the culture while they are here. This year there are 8 from all over the U.S. and Australia. I so admire their sense of adventure, obedience to the Lord’s call on their lives, and hearts for serving.

In the afternoon I also attended a training session with the interpreters. When teams go into the villages to help families, build relationships, share the Gospel, conduct children’s programs, etc. interpreters go with each of the teams to help. These are amazing young men and women as well – well trained in English, Sotho, and other languages as well as the Bible; hearts for serving; and gifted in connecting with teams and the local people.

Over the next few days I’ll be learning and preparing for the upcoming missions teams. I’m really looking forward to it. As I get time, I’ll send some updates about where I’m staying just for kicks, and the amazing property we are nestled into.

Thanks for your prayers and support!
PS. I didn't take pictures today - this is actually a picture from a previous trip.

1 comment:

  1. AHHH!!! I hope you enjoy Qwa Qwa for all it is!! So much potential and love there! I love it. See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete