Saturday, June 27, 2009

Watch Out for the Wildebeest


I try to take long hikes on the weekends and short hikes before work when it’s warm enough. It’s so awesome to head out early, see the sunrise, and see the animals as they graze around. It’s a great way to start the day!

This week I kept running into the herd of wildebeest. First, all on the hill watching me watching them. Then, crossing Zebra Road a few at a time waiting for a baby who was straggling behind. A few days later, startling me big-time when 31 (I counted) ran out from behind my house. I guess I startled them too. I didn’t expect the whole herd to be in the backyard. But it was pretty cool!

So I went to the National Geographic website to learn a bit more. Wildebeest is the Afrikaans name given to the gnu, which is part of the antelope family. They can reach up to 8 ft in length, 4.5 ft in height, and can weigh up to 600 lbs. Both males and females grow horns, and their average life span is 20 years. They are native to the grassy plains and open woodlands of central, southern, and eastern Africa. Calves are born in Feb and March at the beginning of the rainy season. And they learn to walk within minutes, and can keep up with the herd within days.

If this trivia helps you win $$$ on a game show I expect a cut.

Be Blessed, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment