Thursday, July 22, 2010

5 - Ring a Bell?

What began with a small step of faith was met by a huge revelation from God, and it’s been an amazing journey ever since!

During my first mission trip the Lord revealed His purpose for my life, giving me His heart to help others. From there, the Lord guided my steps as I prepared, provided for my needs, and strengthened me when doubts crept in. I’ve now been with Thrive Africa for more than a year, and it has been a joy serving here in South Africa!

So, do any of my experiences ring a bell? If you are wondering about stepping out, serving on a missions trip, making a big career change, or even becoming a full-time missionary, here are just some of the things I learned along the way…

First, make your relationship with God your top priority. Study the Bible, reflect, pray and listen to God. We need to hear from God in order to do His will. We need to love what He loves, hate what He hates, and exchange our worldly perspective for an eternal one.

Second, begin with small steps as a way to learn and discern God’s direction for your life. I did this through short-term mission trips, volunteering through work and church, and taking classes - but it will look different for everyone. Keeping seeking answers until you get them.

Third, trust God in all things. If God calls you, He will equip you and meet your every need. That doesn’t mean everything will come easily, but it will come together. Each time I trusted God with one of my “…buts” He showed up big-time strengthening my faith and further confirming His will for me.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment