Thursday, July 22, 2010

4 - A Big Change

In some ways making the change from the corporate world into full-time missions was easy. One reason is that there are many similarities. Like any organization, we have a vision, a mission, objectives and goals. We plan our work, steward our finances, develop ourselves as leaders, and strive to lead by example. We value integrity, excellence, and teamwork – core values common to successful organizations. In these ways, I felt right at home. It also helps to love the work you’re doing and to feel like you can really make a difference in the world.

The big change also came with its challenges. One such challenge was financial. Moving from a steady paycheck to having to depend on the charitable contributions of others was a big step. It was scary for me. I hadn’t realized how much I valued my independence until God “forced” me to depend on Him and others. But the blessings are greater, the rewards are sweeter, and my faith is so much stronger as a result.

For me personally, another challenge has been the reaction I get from people. Many think that this is a great, noble thing I’m doing – whether they attribute it to me, or to God where the glory really belongs – they think it’s admirable to dedicate my life to helping those in need. But then there are others who view it differently – that I’m throwing away a masters level education, a career that took 20 years to build, a much needed retirement package, my very future. I’ll admit, in my weaker moments I wonder the same thing. Thankfully, that’s when the Lord reassures me that he will take care of my every need. And again, my faith grows so much stronger as a result.

It’s hard to express how wonderful it is to do what you feel called to and created for by the Lord Himself. Awesome, blessing, rewarding, amazing… My words seem so cliché and trite, but they’re true nonetheless.

...to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment