Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lessons Learned

One of the things I love about serving as Outreach Coordinator is seeing how the Lord not only works through teams to help others, but works in them as well. Team members learn so much about God, themselves, and His plan for their lives when they step away from their daily distractions and focus on Him.

For me personally, the most transforming experiences on my spiritual journey have definitely been through serving on and leading overseas mission trips. It was during my first trip that I discovered God’s unique purpose for my life, and felt called to serve others around the world and in my local community. And it was also that calling that fueled my hunger for the Lord and for spiritual growth, and eventually led me back to Thrive Africa to serve full-time.

Now hosting mission teams from across the globe, it’s a joy to serve the teams and to see them discover their gifts, callings and even the areas that God exposes for growth. When asked “What is one lesson God taught you during this trip?” here is what some team members shared.

“God has taught me that there are many different ways to show the love of Christ. Each one of us possesses unique, God-given gifts and this week I have learned that when we rest in those gifts God can do an amazing work through us.”

"That joy does not come from money or possessions or even circumstances in our lives. We need to seek joy from God, make God most important, and then truly focus on sharing love with others. Relationships need to take precedence in our lives.”

"God really taught me the importance of spending time with Him every day in order to be closer to Him and to discover His plan for my life.”

“Mine would be that with all of the amazing things God has done this week he is much greater than at times I allow him to be.”

"God has taught me that I do not need to make this a 2 week mission trip. I hope to be more open and willing to share my faith with friends and co-workers at home. I’ve learned that all people are needy and have a desire to hear the truth, and I hope to be more prepared to share at home.”

Thank you for your prayers and support, and for touching lives not only here in South Africa, but back at home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment