Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hullaballoo

It has been pretty exciting to have the World Cup here in South Africa! And even more exciting - June, Amanda, Matt and I got to go to a game over the weekend. Decked out in South African Bafana Bafana gear, we made the 4 hour trek to Bloemfontein to watch Paraguay and Slovakia. It was so much fun to be part of the hullaballoo!

(…I’m surprised that hullaballoo was in my spell check. Does anyone say that anymore? Other than me?...)

I was actually surprised at the turnout for each team – so many people with painted faces, crazy outfits, waving banners and flags, cheering and singing. One guy was dressed in a spandex, hooded jumpsuit that looked like a cross between Elvis and a giant rooster – wings and all. That’s a fan! And if you’ve caught any of the games on TV you know how relentless those vuvuzelas are – Yikes! I’m so glad that I remembered earplugs. What a great day!!

Too bad that South Africa is out of the running - they played with such skill and heart. But how awesome is it that the US is moving on to the next round? Go USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment