Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting the Hang of It

I can’t believe they talked me into this…I only said yes because I wanted a picture for my blog. Crazy, huh?

Actually, I’m glad I tried rappelling this weekend. According to Wikipedia, abseiling, or rappelling, is “the controlled descent down a rope; climbers use this technique when a cliff or slope is too steep and/or dangerous to descend without protection.” Had I read that definition beforehand I probably would have chickened-out.

Those of you who know me well know that I’m not all that outdoorsy or adventurous – so this was a bit of a stretch. But Lucas, our instructor, did a great job of teaching us step by step, and giving us encouragement along the way. It was scary at first, but once I learned to trust the harness and ropes, I got the “hang” of it and it was a lot of fun.


1 comment: