Monday, December 28, 2009

The Greatest Christmas Present of All

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas - I sure did! I must admit, however, it was a bit strange for me being so far from home. I missed family and friends. I missed the awesome Christmas service at Kensington. I even missed the Christmas shopping chaos and cold, snowy weather. But while I have been feeling a bit homesick lately, I’m also so incredibly thankful to celebrate with my new South African family. Christ is the greatest gift this world will ever know. And Christ is the reason we are all here together.

Folks have asked how we celebrate Christmas in South Africa. It’s not really all that different than back home, except that it’s summer. When I was shopping at Game (like a small Wal-Mart) they were playing Christmas songs including “Let It Snow”. No chance of that here. Stores have “decked their halls” but just on a much smaller scale than I’m used to.

On Christmas morning we all met for breakfast and a white elephant gift exchange. I got a crocodile raft for my next day at the dam (lake). Very cool! We even had a fireplace for Santa to come down thanks to Katie’s creativity. Later that afternoon, we gathered again for a braai (bbq). Abram opened with a Christmas teaching from Luke and a prayer of thanksgiving. Then we celebrated with way too much food and way too many desserts – just like at home. The day was topped off by two Skype calls home to see my family which did wonders for my homesickness.

So all in all, I’m thankful for old traditions and for new ones, but most importantly for the reason behind both – my Savior Jesus Christ, the greatest Christmas present of all.

1 comment:

  1. Jill:

    That is fantastic! I'm so glad you're having the time of your life over their...can't help but wish I was there too. I loved SA! Hope to be back some day. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you...May this year see great reward for you, all the staff, and the mission of Thrive Africa!

    God bless.

    Terry Allen

    ReplyDelete