Monday, July 13, 2009

Johanna and little Seipati

Last week I spent the afternoon at the Harrismith Hospital with the mission team from The River. And there I met a wonderful woman named Johanna. She had been staying at the hospital day and night with her 20-month-old grand-daughter Seipati who had a serious respiratory infection. Johanna shared with me that her daughter, Seipati’s mother, had passed away and that she is currently caring for 7 grand-children ages 20-months to 19 years.

Half-laughing and half-crying she said she was too old for 7 children (I think she said 59), but she trusted that the Lord would take care of them. When we asked what we could pray for, her request was so simple and so sacrificial – that the Lord would heal her hands so she could keep up with the laundry for such a large family.

What Johanna thinks she lacks in money, energy and strength, she more than makes up for in love, faith and courage. And with a lot to spare (and share) because I was definitely encouraged and inspired by Johanna. After a bit of playing, praying and light-hearted conversation, I hope that Johanna and Seipati enjoyed our time together as much as I did.

I pray that Seipati recovers quickly. And I pray that Johanna continues to trust the Lord to supply her every need, and passes that strong faith on to her grand-children as well.

PS. this pic is not them, but gives you an idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment