Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Greetings from Michigan

Greetings from Michigan. Hi there. I arrived back in the US on Sunday afternoon and must admit – it feels a bit strange. On the one hand, so I’m excited to be home to see family and friends, and to plug back into church and school. On the other hand, I miss South Africa and my mind is whirling with all the things I need to do to go back. I’m so grateful that the Lord is giving me this opportunity, calling me into full-time missions which has been on my heart for many years now.

So let me back up just a bit. After my first mission trip in 2002 I was “hooked”. I felt the Lord had given me a glimpse into his purpose for me - a calling for which he had been preparing me through my education, work, and even life experiences. That may sound strange, but I knew I wanted to be involved in overseas missions someday, somehow – I just had no idea of the timing. When I was laid off from Ford I felt that the Lord had closed one door but opened another. My prayers regarding the timing had been answered. And so I embarked on a 2 month adventure with Thrive Africa to experience being a full-time missionary and to seek the Lord’s confirmation about making a “career change.” The trip was amazing! I had been to Thrive Africa several times before and it was “love at first sight”. The people. The land. The vision and their commitment to excellence. So I was grateful to have an opportunity to serve behind the scenes in their Outreach Department. Long story short – I felt the Lord’s confirmation that this is the right place to be for the next several years and who knows afterwards. Pretty cool, huh?

What’s next? There is so much to do to return – I’m excited, a bit overwhelmed, and trusting God for all the details. Visa and travel arrangements. Setting up a support account. Fundraising to cover monthly expenses. Selling or renting my house. Handling all my personal affairs, finances, etc. And most importantly, like I said, trusting God each step of the way.

Thank you. So thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement. Your partnership has been instrumental in bringing hope to people in need, and also in turning my personal dream into a reality. I am grateful for that. And I would so much appreciate your continued prayers.
- That my house would sell or rent quickly despite this difficult economy
- That all the details would be handled quickly and smoothly
- That I remain humble, obedient, and strong in my faith
- For the financial and prayer support needed to serve in South Africa

I also humbly ask that you pray about your continued role in this calling. Perhaps the Lord is calling you to be part of the prayer team, to give financially, to support one of Thrive Africa’s programs or projects, or to serve on a mission team… God has a plan and purpose for each of us. God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jill,

    Glad you got home safely and I hope that this next phase of your life goes smoothly as you get ready to go back.

    I don't think you were there at the same time, but my friend Matt Moline is getting ready to go back early next month and will be there for the next three years? Have you met him at KCC?

    Keep us all posted!

    Love, Adrianne

    ReplyDelete